Dee had her last day of school last wednesday ...It was very bittersweet becoz Dee will be going to another school for second grade and we would miss even our fav crossing guard...So we bot some giftcards for her teacher,assistant and the favorite guard...I thought i would make a cute envelope by myself...when i was searching for cute envelopes online i stumbled upon a video for a cute paper purse for holding gift card ...But i had nothin that she used like a scoring board, decorative paper(designs on both sides), brads or stamps ... But that didnt stop me from making one..and i tried making with what i had and boy oh boy it came out sooo cute that even Dee wanted one ...After lot of trial and error i made some cute ones... and for anyone like me who wanted to make a cute bag without the fancy tools i have the instructions...
First the bags i made for her teachers and a stop sign made for the crossing guard..
This was made jus 10 minutes before school.. Jus cut a octagon from red cardstock..Cut a small white octagon strip and modpodged it .. Then again cut a small white octagon and wrote the letters and colored it red using red crayons.. Since i couldnt find the icecream stick i attached a red straw using double sided tape.
For the teachers
This is inside each of the bags
Now the instructions how to make the bag
Paper little stronger than printer paper with design on atleast one side 8 inch by 8 inch
Contrasting color paper 2 pieces of 4 inch by 1 inch
Double side sticky tape or any strong glue stick (double side tape is preferred)
Tiny bit of velcro (both the soft and the thorn side) -(I didnt have any velcro on hand and so i tore the velcro from Dee's lunch bag..(anyway the bag started to show wear)
How i did it
I have marked and written all the measurements so that it would be easy to follow .
1. Take a 8 inch by 8 inch paper.
2. Mark 2 inches from each side as in the picture.
3. Fold along the lines in the above picture..You can also mark two points and then use the ruler to fold instead of drawing the lines.. Fold along both lines..
4. Then turn the paper and mark 3 inches from each side.. the picture below explains better
5.Fold along the 3 inch lines
6,For easy understanding purpose i have marked A,B,C,D ,A1,B1,C1,D1 in the paper so you would know where and how to fold next.
7.Now take the A1 to the place where the arrow points folding at A...again the picture below will explain better
8. Similarly do the fold in all the other sides B1,C1 and D1.. trust me it might look difficult to look but once you have the paper in hand its very very easy...
9. The difficultest part is over... Phew.. Now unfold the paper and attach the double sided glue strips or strong glue stick in the area written as glue in the below picture..
10.Now fold and glue like below
11. Now start pulling out the folds we made in the A,B,C,D area.. the pictures below will help how to pull the folds
12. Now press together like below
13. The sides will automatically become like below
14. The view from the top
15.. Now take 2 strips of paper each measuring 4 in by 1inch..Fold half and i made some fringe cuts using my martha stewart fringe scissors ..This is the one But you can make the same fringes using ordinary scissors..
16. Then i added double sided tape to both sides of the fold and then attached the strips to the top of the purse..
16. Then i draw U shaped handles and attached to the purse..For the handbag i made for the teachers i punched a hole and added ribbons...
17. Then i cut a oval shaped paper folded it in the center , attached double side sticky tape to one side and attached to one side of the purse.. Also attached the fuzzy or soft side of the velcro to the other side of the the oval shaped paper. Also glue the thorny side of the velcro to the other side of the purse using double sided sticky tape.
18. I also cut a circle and fringe cut it and attached using double sided tape as a flower.. Rolled a small piece of paper and attached it in the middle..
Dee loved it so much that she wanted one..she selected everythg for her little handbag and it came out sooo cute and she wanted me to put it in the blog that hers is "THE CUTEST ONE"..I added some cute embellishments using mod podge.
Jus to have an idea how much it can hold..
FINAL WARNING... Making this handbag can be very addictive!!!!...
Have fun ...Drop a word if you make or like this one....